We are excited to say Christina is ready to start seeing patients in the office who have a deep need for acupuncture treatments with pre-screening and updated safety protocols.
What’s a deep need? First of all, if we can treat you via telemedicine 2-way video, that is definitely the lowest risk. If you do want to come in for an acupuncture treatment, we’ve implemented many more safety procedures to make our environment as safe as possible. Here’s a little “lay of the new land” to help you start to decide what feels comfortable for you.
Requirements for In-person acupuncture Appointments
Every patient will be screened before their appointment to keep our clinic and us as safe as possible. In order to be seen at the clinic, each patient must:
- Not have a fever or feel feverish for 2 weeks. Please confirm ahead of time by taking your temperature. We’ll also take your temperature upon arrival for our records.
- Not have any upper respiratory symptoms or other possible COVID-19 symptoms for 2 weeks. We can’t treat anyone in the clinic who is sneezing or coughing for any reason because of the increased risk of them spreading respiratory droplets.
- These symptoms include: cough, shortness of breath, sneezing, chills or repeated shaking, sore throat, congestion, loss of taste or smell, headache, fatigue, muscle aches, diarrhea.
- We know that allergies can cause these types of symptoms, but because of the difficulty in differentiating and the fact that anyone could be an asymptomatic COVID-19 carrier, we can’t treat anyone in the clinic who is sneezing or coughing at this time. Christina has an arsenal of herbal support for allergies though!
- These symptoms include: cough, shortness of breath, sneezing, chills or repeated shaking, sore throat, congestion, loss of taste or smell, headache, fatigue, muscle aches, diarrhea.
- Not have had contact with anyone who has been sick or with possible COVID-19 for 2 weeks. Due to so much unknown at this time, we consider this to include people who you are interacting with closely who have not been following social distancing recommendations or have travelled on airplanes or long-distances within the past few weeks.
- Wear a mask at all times. Please bring your own mask as it’s required for entering public buildings at this time.
- Don’t come in with wet hair.
- Wear loose clothing so you do not need to disrobe. Also, please bring only what you need into the office with you, so you have less items to manage. You can store your credit card number safely through Square, either in advance or when you pay an invoice.
When you arrive for your appointment, you must confirm that Numbers 1, 2 and 3 are still true.
- We’ll take your temperature for our records using an infrared forehead thermometer.
- We’ll measure your blood oxygen with a sanitized finger oximeter.
If anything changes with your health, your exposure, or your comfort level about coming to the clinic, don’t hesitate to cancel your appointment. We’re not charging the late cancel fee at this time for any of these reasons.
What else we’re doing to keep us all safe as possible
- We’ve moved the reception area to the front room and adjusted our schedule so there will always be a private room ready for you when you arrive for your appointment.
- When you arrive we’ll take your temperature, you’ll be asked to wash your hands, and go to your private room. Christina will measure your oxygen level.
- Please don’t arrive to your appointment more than 15 minutes ahead of time or bring any guests into the office.
- If there is a patient in the front room, please wait outside.
- Christina will be wearing a mask and protective eyewear. Jules will be wearing a mask. We have an herb pick-up station and credit card reader on the shelf in the lobby so you can stay 6 ft away from Jules as she checks you out and schedules future appointments.
- We’re sanitizing the treatment room and any other part of the office used after each patient.
- We are providing hand sanitizer and paper towels for patients to use throughout the office.
- We have disposable cups if you need water. Please don’t refill your personal drinking vessels.
We’ve changed many things in the office to make them extra sanitary. For example, we have HEPA air filtration in each treatment room, the sheets and needles are now stored in closed containers, we have a touchless soap dispenser in the bathroom, and many other details you may or may not be able to see.
If you would like to schedule an appointment, our online scheduler has been updated to reflect our schedule changes, or you can call or email us. (Don’t forget to click CONFIRM in the confirmation email for the online scheduler, otherwise we won’t know you tried to make an appointment.)
If you would like to discuss your needs and whether it makes sense for you to come in, email or call so we can have a conversation.
If you are immune compromised, over age 65, or have any other risk factors for COVID-19 (chronic lung disease, congestive heart failure, diabetes with complications, neurological condition that weakened the ability to cough, Kidney or Liver disease, extreme obesity), please contact us before booking so we can talk and help you make an informed and safe decision.
Keep Taking Care
Don’t forget your common sense when it comes to staying healthy. Keep limiting your possible exposure by avoiding unnecessary human to human interactions, increasing your hygiene and sanitization, and washing your hands before and after touching your face. It’s still vital that we limit the possible spread of the virus to others by wearing a mask and being mindful of our proximity when going into public places. And remember to spend some time each day picturing your good health, drink lots of water, eat nutritious foods, prioritize getting good sleep, get some movement, and make time for laughter.
Here’s to a health and resiliency for you and our community!
Christina Ness-Hawks, LAc
How Are You Doing?
I miss seeing you in person and I’d love to hear from you!
If you need some support, we can talk or “Zoom” for a Telemedicine appointment. Those of you who see me in person for acupuncture know that you get a lot more than just needles from your treatment. Since we’ve been unable to see patients in person, I’ve been doing telemedicine appointments (which is like a Zoom session) and been pleasantly surprised how much connection, diagnosis, and acupressure we can do over video calls.
Through telemedicine appointments I’ve been helping patients:
continue to make progress and stay on track with their goals
combat anxiety and stress during all this change and so much unknown
boost their immune systems, prevent viruses, and stay healthy
reduce pain with effective self care
address whatever new concerns and issues have come up
Are Virtual Visits Secure?
Absolutely. Our video-conference service is through my electronic health record system and is encrypted and HIPAA compliant.
Is It Easy?
Yes! At the start of your visit, I send you an email with a link. You click the link and it opens the 2 way video for our appointment. If you are on a smart phone or ipad, you need to download the app ahead of time. We’ll send you simple instructions prior to your appointment. If you are on a computer, no need to do anything ahead of time; the email link just opens in a web browser.
What’s In a Telemedicine Consult?
During a telemedicine consultation we can check in about your health, and I’ll give you herbal, acupressure, stress reduction, supplement, diet, or lifestyle recommendations tailored just to you. I’m offering these at a discounted rate at this time.
20 Minutes for $30: A quick check in–best for simple updates or changes to an existing condition and if you only want 1 or 2 recommendations.
40 minutes for $50: A longer check in–best for new or complicated conditions, if you simply want more time to talk, or you want several recommendations.
New Patients 60 minutes for $100: We will do a holistic health assessment, set goals and priorities, and I’ll give you a report of findings with a traditional Chinese medicine diagnosis and a treatment plan with herbal, acupressure, supplement, lifestyle, and dietary recommendations.
We’ll send you an invoice through Square and you can pay online without having to sign up for anything. There is a chance insurance will reimburse for it because insurance companies have been mandated to cover telemedicine at this time, but you never know with insurance. So if you have insurance, we will charge you the above rate, bill your insurance, and reimburse you if they pay us. You should be able to use your HSA/FSA/HRA card for telemedicine appointments, so check with your provider.
How To Schedule a Telemedicine Consult
Schedule Telemedicine Consultations on our online scheduler (make sure you get an email and click confirm in that email) or call or email us.
Need Anything Else?
Most of all I want to let you know that I miss you and I’m here to be a resource for you. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to support you.
Here’s to finding moments of calm in the storm,
Christina Ness-Hawks, LAc
If you want some support at this time, here’s all the ways Christina is still here to help. We are Thrive Acupuncture And Wellness after all!
HERBS FOR COVID-19 PREVENTION
Let us know if you are interested in herbs to prevent COVID-19. We have a shipment of herbs coming that are our best shot at herbal prevention. It’s a combination of an immune boosting formula and an antiviral formula that have been shown to be effective and are commonly prescribed without side effects. Plus we got them in simple-to-take pills.
Supplies are limited because everyone is going crazy for chinese herbs right now and there is a shortage of one of the formulas in the US. Contact us if you are interested, and Christina will be in touch to make sure it’s a good fit and save some for you. If there is enough interest, we will quickly order some more before they run out.
For those that like a little more detail: Christina took a class over the weekend from one of the top herbalists in the US and learned what herbal prevention protocols they used in China for COVID-19 and historically. The current COVID-19 disease is caused by SARS-CoV-2, which is very similar to SARS-CoV which caused the SARS epidemic in 2003. During the SARS epidemic in China, there were several studies on hospital workers who took herbs for prevention that found that they were highly successful. For example, in one study they were 90% effective in preventing hospital workers from getting sick. Recent reports out of China are that the herbs are successful in preventing COVID-19 too.
HERB AND SUPPLEMENT REFILLS
We’ve been connecting lots of patients with herb and supplement refills. Call or email if you need anything, and we’ll figure out the best way to get it to you.
We’re now set up for private telemedicine consults via secure 2-way video. During a telemedicine consultation we can check in about your health, and Christina will give you herb, acupressure, stress reduction, supplement, diet, or lifestyle recommendations tailored just to you. We tested out the platform on Monday and the patient was very happy.
These appointments are being offered at a discounted rate at this time. There is a chance insurance will reimburse for it,. Therefore, if you have insurance, we will charge you the below rate and bill insurance and reimburse you if they pay us. You should also be able to use your HSA/FSA/HRA card, so try your card when we send you the invoice.
20 MINUTES for $30:
A quick check in–best for updates or changes to an
existing condition and if you only want 1 or 2
40 MINUTES for $50:
A longer check in–best for new or complicated conditions
or if you want more time to talk or several
NEW PATIENTS- 60 minutes for $100:
We will do a holistic health assessment, set goals and
priorities, and I’ll give you a report of findings with a
Traditional Chinese Medicine diagnosis and a treatment
plan with herb, acupressure, supplement, lifestyle, and
Existing patients can schedule telemedicine consultations with our online scheduler (make sure you get an email and click confirm in that email). New patients will need to call or contact us using this website.
STATE OF MIND COACHING
Join us in a Live WEBINAR starting next week!
GROWING MORE PEACEFUL. EVEN NOW
A place to drop in weekly, for a breather from all the noise.
Tuesdays 4-5 PM, weekly March 31 thru April 28
Join in any week
It’s free, register at Eventbrite: https://growingmorepeaceful.eventbrite.com
My mentor Julie Gleeson, of the Art of Living, and I are going to host a weekly interactive Zoom conversation to help you reconnect with your peace of mind and resiliency. We’ll shine a light on the mind’s infinite possibility for insight, common sense, creativity, love, peace of mind, and wellbeing, even now! And we’ll answer your questions to help you in your specific circumstances.
I’ll let you in on what I know about state of mind and the human operating system that is keeping me sane. I’ll help you re-connect to your common sense and resiliency, even during unknown and chaotic times. I’m offering this at 1/2 price right now since I believe in the power of this work to help you more than ever.
Personalized Mentoring Rate: 50 minutes for $100
With the purchase of 5 sessions, get one free, for a total of 6 sessions, 50 minutes each, with emails in between: $500
With the purchase of 9 sessions, get 2 free, for a total of 11 sessions, 50 minutes each, with emails in between: $900
We’ll bring back in-person acupuncture treatments as soon as we are able. I know from personal experience that acupuncture is essential for our immune system and stress reduction, so we suspect it will be sooner rather than later. We’ll keep everyone posted.
Here’s to taking a pause and contemplating what is essential. While we are separate in space, we are together in spirit with open hearts, tapping into our best common sense moment to moment.
Temporary Change To Our Illness Policy
Usually we welcome sick people into our office so I can help patients reduce their symptoms and get over their respiratory illnesses faster. However in an effort to help keep our community safe from the rapid spread of coronavirus COVID-19, I’m asking you to stay home if you may be sick with a respiratory illness or have been exposed to respiratory illness. If that means you need to cancel your appointment, we’ll waive the late cancel fee.
Because there are so many unknowns and the situation could change quickly, this means using your common sense about the best public health practices for preventing the spread of COVID-19. Please stay home if you may be sick with a respiratory illness and cancel your appointment if any of the following are applicable to you or anyone in your household:
- Fever (oral temperature 100.4° or higher) or symptoms of fever (such as chills or body aches) within the past 24 hours. Please do not consider yourself fever-free until your temperature has been normal for at least 24 hours without the use of Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Advil (ibuprofen).
- Shortness of breath and/or cough that is not known to be caused by another condition (for example congestive heart failure or allergies).
- Travel within the past 14 days to areas that have people known to be infected with Covid-19 such as China, Iran, Italy, Japan, and S Korea
- Close contact with a person known/suspected to be infected with COVID-19 within the past 14 days.
- Healthcare workers who have been in contact with patients known/suspected to be infected with COVID-19 within the past 14 days.
I know many of you have come to depend on acupuncture and cupping to treat your viral and bacterial infections, so it’s difficult to ask you to stay away at this time, but your extra caution could help the community in our office and at large. Prevention really is the best medicine right now with so many unknowns.
What We’re Doing To Keep The Office Safe
We are committed to keeping things clean and safe at the clinic. I’m certified in clean needle technique and we have procedures to prevent the spread of pathogens. That’s why we normally welcome sick people into the office and my staff and I never feel like we are getting sick from work or that patients are getting sick from our office. We’ve increased our cleaning, disinfecting, and safety procedures. We will continue to stay up on the latest information and update our procedures to keep us all as safe as possible.
What You Can Do To Take Care Of Yourself
The most important things you can do to support your immune system are really basic:
- Don’t panic. Stress is bad for your immune system. It’s normal to have worried thoughts. Just don’t entertain them for too long. Make some time to do something enjoyable each day and connect with loved ones.
- Wash your hands frequently and don’t touch your face unless you just washed your hands.
- Get enough sleep. Turn off the screens and start winding down a little earlier.
- Drink lots of water to support healthy mucous membranes as a first line of defense. Hot water and tea have been shown to inhibit viruses in our throat.
- Eat more nutrient dense whole foods, soups, and bone broth.
- Eat less inflammatory foods: sugar, industrial seed oils, processed foods, alcohol, and foods you are sensitive to (wheat, dairy, eggs, nightshades etc.)
- Support lung health by doing some even breathing, preferably outdoors in fresh air, to move circulation and clear out toxins. Breath in through your nose for a count of 5, hold for 1, then out through your mouth for a count of 5, hold for 1. Make the counts even and not too long that you struggle.
If you want to add to your immune boosting routine, I recommend you choose some of the following:
- Acupuncture is the number one way I support my immune system and I’ve been adding immune boosting points in everyone’s treatments. You can even book an appointment focused on boosting your immune system or reducing your stress–see above about how important it is to reduce your stress. Get in touch or book online here.
- Immune boosting and antiviral herbs! We have lots of herbs to boost your immune system and kill viruses. We’re stocked up on simple pills and we have powders to mix into your custom formulas. Just let us know you are interested and we’ll figure out the easiest way to get you some.
- Probiotics are an important part of your immune system. They are available in fermented foods such as yogurt, kefir, raw sauerkraut, specifically labeled pickles, miso, kombucha (careful because it can contain lots of sugar and some caffeine). I recommend supplementing with a concentrated pill or powder. We carry a high quality, shelf stable probiotic in the office only available from medical providers. Let us know if you want to try it or replenish your stock.
- Elderberry syrup is one of my go to recommendations for antiviral support that you can get at Oliver’s or Whole foods.
- Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and Zinc are also good supplements to boost your immune system.
While they say the risk for COVID-19 is currently low in our area, I want to use an abundance of caution to protect our immune compromised patients, help slow a potentially rapid spread of COVID-19 that could overwhelm the healthcare system, and continue to serve our community without interruption.
Did you know that we have snacks at our Wisdom Workshops? Because I love snacks. And snack breaks feed Wisdom.
Here’s my recipe for the nuts that everyone keeps asking for:
- 4 Cups Organic Raw Walnuts, Pecans, or Almonds (almonds have to be sourced from outside of CA, more details below)
- 2 Tablespoons Sea Salt
- Filtered Water
Soak & Dehydrate:
- Soak nuts in water with salt for 7-12 hours
- Drain nuts in a colander
- Dry the nuts thoroughly in the oven or a dehydrator
- Set the oven to the lowest setting. 150 degrees is preferred, but 170 degrees is commonly the lowest setting which is ok. (More details below if you want to learn more about the nutrients in your nuts).
- Spread the nuts evenly on a cookie sheet so they are not overlapping much.
- Dry the nuts in the oven for 12hours.
- Spread nuts evenly on the dehydrator trays so they are not overlapping much.
- Dry the nuts in the dehydrator at about 105-150 degrees for 12-24 hours.
- Taste the nuts to make sure they are fully dry because wet nuts will not store well
- Store nuts in an airtight container in a cool dark place or in the fridge
Why go to all this trouble to sprout and dry your nuts? They taste great and are better for you. Nuts have an anti-nutrient called Phytate in them that stops them from sprouting when the nuts are dry. Phytates are irritating to some people’s digestion—that’s a big reason why some people can’t tolerate nuts. Phytates also act as an anti-nutrient and bind to micronutrients you are eating and don’t let you absorb them. When nuts are soaked in water, sprouting enzymes are activated that convert the Phytates and get rid of them. So if you’re eating lots of unsprouted nuts you might be irritating your digestion and preventing yourself from getting all the nutrients from the foods you are eating.
What if my oven only goes as low at 170 degrees? Will it ruin my nuts? Sprouting and then dehydrating your nuts at temperatures above 150 degrees will most likely overheat and destroy some of the beneficial micronutrients in your nuts. But it’s still better than not sprouting your nuts at all, because the sprouting part will get rid of the anti-nutrient Phytates that would block the absorption of other nutrients from your food. So you’re getting some of the benefits of the sprouting process but not all of the benefits of eating nutrient rich nuts. And they will taste yummy.
Do the nuts have to be raw and organic? Why do I need to get Almonds from outside California? Where do I get them? You want to use raw organic nuts because they are the only kinds of nuts that will sprout when you put them in water. Non-organic nuts often have been treated so that they won’t sprout. California almonds have all been pasteurized. The pasteurizing process kills the enzymes that that allow nuts to start sprouting and for the Phytates to be converted. Pasteurization also kills other beneficial micronutrients so it’s a double bummer. You can buy non-pastuerized raw organic almonds on Amazon. You can buy raw (which means unpasteurized) organic walnut and pecans at Oliver’s, Whole Foods, or Trader Joes.
Would you like to experience more clarity, peace of mind, and joy, even in the midst of challenging circumstances?
Do you want more satisfying easy relationships, in which you can listen and communicate deeply, while appreciating differences?
Are you interested in a more imaginative path to happiness and success, that supports evolution, growth, and a sense of connection to the miraculous along the way?
What if I told you there is ONE solution to learning to thrive and becoming more resilient than you ever thought?
The problem most people face is a widespread misunderstanding about where our mental well-being comes from. Most people attribute their stress and dissatisfaction to outside circumstances. As a result, we spend a lot of effort trying to change those circumstances so we can feel better.
What if I told you that we have been looking in the wrong direction for all the answers? There is actually ONE Solution that will help you solve everything that appears to be a problem. And better yet it doesn’t require any techniques and can be experienced by anyone at any time. The ONE solution comes from clearing up a misunderstanding about how mental well-being and human resiliency work.
In this workshop I’m going to share with you a simple understanding that reminds you about the great pool of peace and creativity built into all human beings. This insight, as experienced,discovered, and taught by the late Sydney Banks, explains The Three Principles behind how our psychological experience works.
We’ll explore how seeing this for yourself can be your ONE solution to rediscovering how to tap into your wisdom that allows you to effortlessly thrive in work, relationships, and life, regardless of your current or future circumstances.
Come join us in monthly conversation to explore what is possible. Keep joining us to build a deeper foundation of resiliency for thriving.
- One Friday a Month, 2 pm to 5 pm, in 2017:
Feb 10 | March 10 | April 28 | May 12 | June 9 | July 14 | Aug 11 | Sept 22 | Oct 20 | Nov 10 | Dec 8
- Tuition: $122, Early Bird Registration $97, Register with a friend for a $12 discount each, Package of 3 workshops for $225
- By Christina Ness-Hawks, LAc at Thrive Acupuncture and Wellness, 3412 Mendocino Avenue, Santa Rosa, CA
- Limited seats are available so register ahead of time to save your spot: http://wisdom-workshop.eventbrite.com
The One Solution Wisdom Workshops are based on the work of Sydney Banks, who uncovered The Three Principles that are the foundation of all human experience in 1973. For over 40 years this understanding has been brought to many arenas of life such as:
- The fields of mental health and addiction, with profound healing and recovery;
- The field of relationships where understanding and connection flourished;
- The fields of business, health care, and sports, where burnout was reduced and innovation and performance blossomed;
- The fields of education and parenting, where kids and adults found innate happiness, stopped bullying and gang behavior;
- The fields of community development and policing, ending crime and preventing poverty.
Among all this diversity there is ONE solution. Because with an understanding of The Principles underlying the human experience, the solution is the same to all of humanity’s problems.
“The wisdom humanity seeks lies within the consciousness of all human beings, trapped and held prisoner by their own personal minds.”
–Sydney Banks, The Missing Link, Reflections on Philosophy & Spirit