We are excited to say Christina is ready to start seeing patients in the office for acupuncture treatments with pre-screening and updated safety protocols.
Requirements for In-person acupuncture Appointments
- Not have a fever or felt feverish for 2 weeks.
- Not have any respiratory symptoms or other possible COVID-19 symptoms for 2 weeks. Allergies, asthma and other non-viral issues usually feel different, but call us prior to coming in if you have questions.
- Not have had close contact with anyone who has possible COVID-19 for 2 weeks.
When you arrive to our clinic, you will need to confirm that the above are still accurate. We will take your temperature with an infrared forehead thermometer and check your blood oxygen with a sanitized oximeter. We also ask that you:
- Wear a mask at all times.
- Be punctual, but please don’t arrive to your appointment more than 15 minutes ahead of time. With all the extra cleaning protocols we now have, we may not be able to accommodate you if you are more than 5 minutes late.
- If there is a patient in the front room, please wait outside.
- Don’t come in with wet hair.
- Wear loose clothing so you do not need to disrobe and bring only what you need into the clinic.
- Don’t bring any guests into the clinic.
If anything changes with your health, your exposure, or your comfort level about coming to the clinic, don’t hesitate to cancel your appointment. We’re not charging the late cancel fee at this time for any of these reasons.
What else we’re doing to keep us all as safe as possible
- We’ve moved the reception area to the front room and adjusted our schedule so there will always be a private room ready for you when you arrive for your appointment.
- When you arrive we’ll take your temperature, you’ll be asked to wash your hands, and go to your private room. Christina will measure your oxygen level.
- Christina will be wearing a mask and protective eyewear. Jules will be wearing a mask. We have an herb pick-up station and credit card reader on the shelf in the lobby so you can stay 6 ft away from Jules as she checks you out and schedules future appointments.
- We’re sanitizing the treatment room and any other part of the office used after each patient.
- We are providing hand sanitizer and paper towels for patients to use throughout the office.
We’ve changed many things in the office to make them extra sanitary. For example, we have HEPA air filtration in each treatment room, the sheets and needles are now stored in closed containers, we have a touchless soap dispenser in the bathroom, and many other details you may or may not be able to see.
If you would like to schedule an appointment, our online scheduler has been updated to reflect our schedule changes, or you can call or email us. (Don’t forget to click CONFIRM in the confirmation email for the online scheduler, otherwise we won’t know you tried to make an appointment.)
If you are immune compromised or have any other risk factors for COVID-19 (chronic lung disease, congestive heart failure, diabetes with complications, neurological condition that weakened the ability to cough, Kidney or Liver disease, extreme obesity), please contact us before booking so we can talk and help you make an informed and safe decision.
For those that prefer to stay home at this time, we understand as that is the lowest risk. We can still support you with a telemedicine appointment! Click HERE for information on them.
If you have any questions, please reach out. We know this is a confusing time and we’re here to help you decide if you feel comfortable coming in for an appointment.
Keep Taking Care
Don’t forget your common sense when it comes to staying healthy. Keep limiting your possible exposure by avoiding unnecessary human to human interactions, increasing your hygiene and sanitization, and washing your hands before and after touching your face.
It’s still vital that we limit the possible spread of the virus to others by wearing a mask and being mindful of our proximity when going into public places. And remember to spend some time each day picturing your good health, drink lots of water, eat nutritious foods, prioritize getting good sleep, get some movement, and make time for laughter.
Here’s to a health and resiliency for you and our community!
Christina Ness-Hawks, LAc
How Are You Doing?
I miss seeing you in person and I’d love to hear from you!
If you need some support, we can talk or “Zoom” for a Telemedicine appointment. Those of you who see me in person for acupuncture know that you get a lot more than just needles from your treatment. Since we’ve been unable to see patients in person, I’ve been doing telemedicine appointments (which is like a Zoom session) and been pleasantly surprised how much connection, diagnosis, and acupressure we can do over video calls.
Through telemedicine appointments I’ve been helping patients:
continue to make progress and stay on track with their goals
combat anxiety and stress during all this change and so much unknown
boost their immune systems, prevent viruses, and stay healthy
reduce pain with effective self care
address whatever new concerns and issues have come up
Are Virtual Visits Secure?
Absolutely. Our video-conference service is through my electronic health record system and is encrypted and HIPAA compliant.
Is It Easy?
Yes! At the start of your visit, I send you an email with a link. You click the link and it opens the 2 way video for our appointment. If you are on a smart phone or ipad, you need to download the app ahead of time. We’ll send you simple instructions prior to your appointment. If you are on a computer, no need to do anything ahead of time; the email link just opens in a web browser.
What’s In a Telemedicine Consult?
During a telemedicine consultation we can check in about your health, and I’ll give you herbal, acupressure, stress reduction, supplement, diet, or lifestyle recommendations tailored just to you. I’m offering these at a discounted rate at this time.
20 Minutes for $60: A quick check in–best for simple updates or changes to an existing condition and if you only want 1 or 2 recommendations.
40 minutes for $100: A longer check in–best for new or complicated conditions, if you simply want more time to talk, or you want several recommendations.
New Patients 60 minutes for $120: We will do a holistic health assessment, set goals and priorities, and I’ll give you a report of findings with a traditional Chinese medicine diagnosis and a treatment plan with herbal, acupressure, supplement, lifestyle, and dietary recommendations.
We’ll send you an invoice through Square and you can pay online without having to sign up for anything. There is a chance insurance will reimburse for it because insurance companies have been mandated to cover telemedicine at this time, but you never know with insurance. So if you have insurance, we will charge you the above rate, bill your insurance, and reimburse you if they pay us. You should be able to use your HSA/FSA/HRA card for telemedicine appointments, so check with your provider.
How To Schedule a Telemedicine Consult
Schedule Telemedicine Consultations on our online scheduler (make sure you get an email and click confirm in that email) or call or email us.
Need Anything Else?
Most of all I want to let you know that I miss you and I’m here to be a resource for you. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to support you.
Here’s to finding moments of calm in the storm,
Christina Ness-Hawks, LAc
If you want some support at this time, here’s all the ways Christina is still here to help. We are Thrive Acupuncture And Wellness after all!
NOTE: Click here for info on requirements for in-person treatments as of May 15, 2020.
HERBS FOR COVID-19 PREVENTION
Let us know if you are interested in herbs to prevent COVID-19. We have a shipment of herbs coming that are our best shot at herbal prevention. It’s a combination of an immune boosting formula and an antiviral formula that have been shown to be effective and are commonly prescribed without side effects. Plus we got them in simple-to-take pills.
Supplies are limited because everyone is going crazy for chinese herbs right now and there is a shortage of one of the formulas in the US. Contact us if you are interested, and Christina will be in touch to make sure it’s a good fit and save some for you. If there is enough interest, we will quickly order some more before they run out.
For those that like a little more detail: Christina took a class over the weekend from one of the top herbalists in the US and learned what herbal prevention protocols they used in China for COVID-19 and historically. The current COVID-19 disease is caused by SARS-CoV-2, which is very similar to SARS-CoV which caused the SARS epidemic in 2003. During the SARS epidemic in China, there were several studies on hospital workers who took herbs for prevention that found that they were highly successful. For example, in one study they were 90% effective in preventing hospital workers from getting sick. Recent reports out of China are that the herbs are successful in preventing COVID-19 too.
HERB AND SUPPLEMENT REFILLS
We’ve been connecting lots of patients with herb and supplement refills. Call or email if you need anything, and we’ll figure out the best way to get it to you.
We’re now set up for private telemedicine consults via secure 2-way video. During a telemedicine consultation we can check in about your health, and Christina will give you herb, acupressure, stress reduction, supplement, diet, or lifestyle recommendations tailored just to you. We tested out the platform on Monday and the patient was very happy.
There is a chance insurance will reimburse for it. Therefore, if you have insurance, we will charge you the below rate and bill insurance and reimburse you if they pay us. You should also be able to use your HSA/FSA/HRA card, so try your card when we send you the invoice.
20 MINUTES for $60:
A quick check in–best for updates or changes to an
existing condition and if you only want 1 or 2
40 MINUTES for $100:
A longer check in–best for new or complicated conditions
or if you want more time to talk or several
NEW PATIENTS- 60 minutes for $120:
We will do a holistic health assessment, set goals and
priorities, and I’ll give you a report of findings with a
Traditional Chinese Medicine diagnosis and a treatment
plan with herb, acupressure, supplement, lifestyle, and
Existing patients can schedule telemedicine consultations with our online scheduler (make sure you get an email and click confirm in that email). New patients will need to call or contact us using this website.
STATE OF MIND COACHING
Join us in a Live WEBINAR starting next week!
GROWING MORE PEACEFUL. EVEN NOW
A place to drop in weekly, for a breather from all the noise.
Tuesdays 4-5 PM, weekly March 31 thru April 28
Join in any week
It’s free, register at Eventbrite: https://growingmorepeaceful.eventbrite.com
My mentor Julie Gleeson, of the Art of Living, and I are going to host a weekly interactive Zoom conversation to help you reconnect with your peace of mind and resiliency. We’ll shine a light on the mind’s infinite possibility for insight, common sense, creativity, love, peace of mind, and wellbeing, even now! And we’ll answer your questions to help you in your specific circumstances.
I’ll let you in on what I know about state of mind and the human operating system that is keeping me sane. I’ll help you re-connect to your common sense and resiliency, even during unknown and chaotic times.
Personalized Mentoring Rate: 50 minutes for $150
With the purchase of 5 sessions, get one free, for a total of 6 sessions, 50 minutes each, with emails in between: $750
With the purchase of 9 sessions, get 2 free, for a total of 11 sessions, 50 minutes each, with emails in between: $1,350
We’ll bring back in-person acupuncture treatments as soon as we are able. I know from personal experience that acupuncture is essential for our immune system and stress reduction, so we suspect it will be sooner rather than later.
Here’s to taking a pause and contemplating what is essential. While we are separate in space, we are together in spirit with open hearts, tapping into our best common sense moment to moment.
Temporary Change To Our Illness Policy
Usually we welcome sick people into our office so I can help patients reduce their symptoms and get over their respiratory illnesses faster. However in an effort to help keep our community safe from the rapid spread of coronavirus COVID-19, I’m asking you to stay home if you may be sick with a respiratory illness or have been exposed to respiratory illness. If that means you need to cancel your appointment, we’ll waive the late cancel fee.
Because there are so many unknowns and the situation could change quickly, this means using your common sense about the best public health practices for preventing the spread of COVID-19. Please stay home if you may be sick with a respiratory illness and cancel your appointment if any of the following are applicable to you or anyone in your household:
- Fever (oral temperature 100.4° or higher) or symptoms of fever (such as chills or body aches) within the past 24 hours. Please do not consider yourself fever-free until your temperature has been normal for at least 24 hours without the use of Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Advil (ibuprofen).
- Shortness of breath and/or cough that is not known to be caused by another condition (for example congestive heart failure or allergies).
- Travel within the past 14 days to areas that have people known to be infected with Covid-19 such as China, Iran, Italy, Japan, and S Korea
- Close contact with a person known/suspected to be infected with COVID-19 within the past 14 days.
- Healthcare workers who have been in contact with patients known/suspected to be infected with COVID-19 within the past 14 days.
I know many of you have come to depend on acupuncture and cupping to treat your viral and bacterial infections, so it’s difficult to ask you to stay away at this time, but your extra caution could help the community in our office and at large. Prevention really is the best medicine right now with so many unknowns.
What We’re Doing To Keep The Office Safe
We are committed to keeping things clean and safe at the clinic. I’m certified in clean needle technique and we have procedures to prevent the spread of pathogens. That’s why we normally welcome sick people into the office and my staff and I never feel like we are getting sick from work or that patients are getting sick from our office. We’ve increased our cleaning, disinfecting, and safety procedures. We will continue to stay up on the latest information and update our procedures to keep us all as safe as possible.
What You Can Do To Take Care Of Yourself
The most important things you can do to support your immune system are really basic:
- Don’t panic. Stress is bad for your immune system. It’s normal to have worried thoughts. Just don’t entertain them for too long. Make some time to do something enjoyable each day and connect with loved ones.
- Wash your hands frequently and don’t touch your face unless you just washed your hands.
- Get enough sleep. Turn off the screens and start winding down a little earlier.
- Drink lots of water to support healthy mucous membranes as a first line of defense. Hot water and tea have been shown to inhibit viruses in our throat.
- Eat more nutrient dense whole foods, soups, and bone broth.
- Eat less inflammatory foods: sugar, industrial seed oils, processed foods, alcohol, and foods you are sensitive to (wheat, dairy, eggs, nightshades etc.)
- Support lung health by doing some even breathing, preferably outdoors in fresh air, to move circulation and clear out toxins. Breath in through your nose for a count of 5, hold for 1, then out through your mouth for a count of 5, hold for 1. Make the counts even and not too long that you struggle.
If you want to add to your immune boosting routine, I recommend you choose some of the following:
- Acupuncture is the number one way I support my immune system and I’ve been adding immune boosting points in everyone’s treatments. You can even book an appointment focused on boosting your immune system or reducing your stress–see above about how important it is to reduce your stress. Get in touch or book online here.
- Immune boosting and antiviral herbs! We have lots of herbs to boost your immune system and kill viruses. We’re stocked up on simple pills and we have powders to mix into your custom formulas. Just let us know you are interested and we’ll figure out the easiest way to get you some.
- Probiotics are an important part of your immune system. They are available in fermented foods such as yogurt, kefir, raw sauerkraut, specifically labeled pickles, miso, kombucha (careful because it can contain lots of sugar and some caffeine). I recommend supplementing with a concentrated pill or powder. We carry a high quality, shelf stable probiotic in the office only available from medical providers. Let us know if you want to try it or replenish your stock.
- Elderberry syrup is one of my go to recommendations for antiviral support that you can get at Oliver’s or Whole foods.
- Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and Zinc are also good supplements to boost your immune system.
While they say the risk for COVID-19 is currently low in our area, I want to use an abundance of caution to protect our immune compromised patients, help slow a potentially rapid spread of COVID-19 that could overwhelm the healthcare system, and continue to serve our community without interruption.