I created this as a handout for my patients. If you want a copy to have in your medicine cabinet, contact us for the pdf. Be well – Christina
What to have on hand to start taking at the first signs of a virus:
Antiviral Chinese Herbs
- The cornerstone of both virus prevention & treatment. There are several options: pills / powders, different strengths, and price points. Schedule a phone or telehealth appointment with Christina to get the ones right for you.
Xlear Nasal Spray
- Prevention: 2 sprays each nostril, wait then blow nose, 2 times a day
- Possible exposure: several times a day.
- Sick: 5 times a day
- Prevention: 500-1,000 mg/day depending on how much you get in your diet
- Possible exposure: 1,000-1,500 mg/day
- Sick: increase to bowel tolerance such as 1,000 mg several X/ day
Prevention: get regular sun exposure and supplement to get blood level to 25-50 ng/ml. Preferably supplement with Cod Liver Oil because it has Vitamin A which is synergistic.
Here’s an idea of the range of supplementation based on blood levels:
< 15 ng/mL = 4,000 IU/day
15–20 ng/mL = 3,000 IU/day
20–25 ng/mL = 2,000 IU/day
25–30 ng/mL = 1,500 IU/day
30–35 ng/mL = 5000 IU/day
- Possible exposure: use same dosage twice a day.
- Sick: take a Vitamin D supplement in addition to Cod Liver Oil:
- Take a very high dose such as 10,000 iu/day for a week.
- Or take a super dose of 50,000 iu/day, then 20,000 iu/day for the next few days,then 10,000 iu/day until feeling better
- Prevention: 10-30 mg/day depending on how much you get from your diet
- Sick: zinc lozenges that you suck on for 20-30 min, every 4 hours to keep it in your throat
- Prevention: if you are taking fish oil the amount that is in there is fine
- Sick: 30,000 iu/day = 7.5 mg/day
- Can get them from fermented foods such as raw sauerkraut, pickles, kimchi, and kombucha. Can also supplement with a high quality pill.
Anything to reduce phlegm if you are sick or have been exposed: According to Chinese Medicine, Covid-19 always has a phlegm component even if you don’t feel it yet.
- N-Acetyl Cysteine: 500 mg 2X/day
- Fresh Lemon and Ginger Tea or Traditional Medicinals Breathe Easy Tea
- Less dairy, alcohol, sugar, fried greasy foods
- Cupping to support the lungs: In most cultures cupping is a home remedy. Christina can advise you on buying an at-home cupping set and show you how to use it to support the lungs.
Quercetin if your body is having an intense reaction or lots of inflammation:
- Sick: 500-1000 mg/day
If you think you missed the golden window and the virus starts to take hold, get in touch so we can get you a customized herbal prescription that will be stronger and tailored to your body and your symptoms. Telehealth appointments are available with Christina.